The building that houses the "Tap Room" was built in 1906 by the Seiler family of Covington. It operated for years as a bar/ saloon on the first floor and as a hotel “boarding house” on the second. The courtyard buildings were added in the 1970's as storage rental units.
Jeff and Mitzi Archer opened the Columbia Street Tap Room and Grill in October of 1996 and purchased the property shortly thereafter. Renovation was done to the rest of the building and rented as professional office space and an artist gallery downstairs.
Unfortunately, a roofing accident set fire to the entire building in August of 1998, only shortly after the renovation was complete. The main building was immediately rebuilt to the original floor plan. Additionally, a New Orleans-style courtyard was added and was awarded “Best Change of Use Renovation” in the 1999 Louisiana Main Street Awards.
On St. Patricks Day 1998 the “Tap Room” was purchased by Steve Ahrons. The Tap Room prides itself on being a bar that serves great food and offers the best in local and national music. Please stop in and enjoy some time!
434 North Columbia Street
Covington, LA 70433